HISTORY OF THE MARKESAN STATE BANK
In the early days of development, a small group of people from Markesan had a vision and recognized a need for a financial institution for their community. On October 7, 1891, Markesan State Bank roots were planted in the parlor of the McCracken Hotel and have grown for over 100 years as a financial cornerstone.
Upon pooling their resources the bank has grown from its initial start up capital of $13,350.63 to more than $13 million. With a capital ratio of over 14% it is one of the stronger financial institutions in the state.
The Bank's first location was on North Bridge Street. This building was remodeled in 1965, and in 1977 the Bank relocated across the street to its present location. In 1990 an addition was added to accommodate its growth. This Main Office location has five lobby teller windows, two drive-up windows and a walk-up window to accommodate the customers. It also has a night deposit vault located on the south side of the building and safe deposit boxes for safe storage of customer valuables.
In 1990, at the request of community businessmen, the Bank opened a branch office in Randolph. Within eight years this office outgrew its facility and an addition was added that doubled its size. The Randolph Office currently has two drive-up windows, four lobby teller windows, safe deposit boxes and a night deposit box.
On October 2, 2001, the Margaret Street branch of the Markesan State Bank opened. This new facility provides an opportunity for extended banking hours, convenient access, and quality service to our customers near the industrial park, school, grocery store, post office and service stations, all of which are located on the primary traffic artery of the city. This Satellite Office has three drive-up windows, two walk-up windows and a night deposit located in the first drive-thru stall for those who cannot make it in during business hours.
Then on July 30, 2007, Markesan State Bank opened doors again to a new branch in the Waupun Community. This enabled the Bank to serve an already existing customer base in the Waupun area and allows us to provide our services to more of the Waupun community and its surrounding areas, with hopes to increase that need to more of the community and its surrounding areas. The Waupun Branch has four lobby teller windows, three drive-up windows, a night deposit box, and safe deposit boxes.
Between all locations, the Markesan State Bank currently employs over 35 local people. Offering jobs to the people in the community not only strengthens our towns but also our commitment to friendly, helpful service.
In January 2006, the Bank introduced Online Banking to once again provide additional convenience and flexibility to our customers. As technology advances, the Markesan State Bank continues to keep pace. We are proud to be the first financial institution in our community to offer this personal banking resource.
Independently owned and operated, our Bank has been helping the local economy by reinvesting the deposits back into our area, letting the neighborhoods grow and progress. Our Board of Directors, consisting of local people who understand the local needs, have always helped the bank to maintain its commitment to confidentiality and quality service. The Bank is also proud of its record of dividend payments, and has been able to declare a dividend every year since 1891, even through the depression years of the 30's.
We invite you to stop in at one of our four locations and talk to someone on our friendly staff. We want your business and would like the opportunity to serve you.